Fast food has been a part of my life since I first came to the US. I remember the first time I had McDonalds was when I was reunited with my dad again. My mother and I were hungry and the airport was just three minutes from McDonalds. I had my very first Bic Mac. My parents both always worked and barely had time to cook for us. When my brother was born it was even harder for them to take care of us. The babysitters we had were given an allowance to feed my brother and I. For them buying us food was faster then cooking for us. One of my brother's first words was, "fry fry." That was his way of asking for french fries at the age of one. So with our parents working long hours and with no time I knew Ronald McDonald very well. For me it was alright getting McDonalds. I loved getting a free toy with my meal. My favorite choices were always a happy meal with a cheese burger, fries and a coke. When I stared going to school much of the choices for lunch are fast food. Burgers, fries, chees steak, etc. The only differnce was the milk or chocolate milk offered as a drink. Later in junior high and high school the meals offered then become a little healthier but not by much. During those years growing up my parents got better and secure jobs and had a some time to cook at home. Eating out was then changed to week ends only. The only problem now was now two growing boys are bigger and hungrier. So with my brother and I getting an allowance we some money to feed ourselves when we wanted. Getting older our choices of food were more demanding. We tried different places of course like Popeyes, Wendys, Burger King, etc. McDonalds to us was always our favorite.
Now I will admit I still do go to fast food places but not as bad as I use to. It still is fast and cheap but now I tend to crave great tasting food other than its rapid service. My wife works for a natural products company. Ever since then she was made me change my eating habits. Like I mentioned before I will prefer a great tasting meal from a great restarunt than a cheap burger. My wife now mentions everything bad about meats, milk products, non organic fruits and vegetables. I am really picky about what I eat now. We now go grocery shopping at Trader Joes, Sprouts and farmers markets for for fresh produce. We prepare more meals at home and if we do need to go out to eat we really look at our menus to find good choices. Again I admit that fast food is fast and cheap and I still do stop by occasionly but I am trying very hard to watch what I eat now because I have learned that the best food is always will be home made. Even though I sometimes over cook some things but I like the fact that I made it.
yeahhh happy meals!!
ReplyDeleteIt's good that you and your wife eat healthy rather than eating fast food most of the time(:
ReplyDeleteThats awsome that you try and cook healthy than go to fast foods
ReplyDelete